**Electronic versions of papers are provided as a professional courtesy to ensure timely dissemination of academic work for noncommercial purposes. Copyright resides with the respective copyright holders, as stated within each paper. These files may not be reposted without permission.
- Baranger DAA, Margolis S, Hariri AR, Bogdan R. (in press). An earlier time of scan is associated with greater threat-related amygdala reactivity. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Salmeron BJ, Carey CE, Agrawal A, Calhoun VD, Garavan H, Hariri AR, Heinz A, Hill MN, Holmes A, Kalin NH, Goldman D. (in press). Imaging genetics and genomics in psychiatry: A critical review of progress and potential. Biological Psychiatry. [pdf]
- Di Iorio C, Johnson K, Sheinbein D, Kahn S, England P, Bogdan R. (in press). The serotonin transporter-linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) polymorphism, stress, and depression. In. L. Cohen (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Health Psychology. NJ, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hartz SM, Horton A, Oehlert M, Carey CE, Agrawal A, Bogdan R, Chen L, Hancock DB, Johnson EO, Pato C, Pato M, Rice JP, Bierut LJ. (in press). Association between substance use disorder and polygenic liability to schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry. [pdf]
- Michalski LJ, Demers CH, Baranger DAA, Barch DM, Harms MP, Burgess GC, Bogdan R. (in press). Perceived stress is associated with increased rostral middle frontal gyrus cortical thickness: A family-based and discordant sibling investigation. Genes, Brain and Behavior.
- Rodebaugh TL, Tonge N, Weisman JS, Lim MH, Fernandez KC, Bogdan R. Social anxiety disorder and giving on the prisoner’s dilemma: Reduced responsiveness, not limited giving. Behaviour Research and Therapy. [pdf]
- Carey CE, Knodt AR, Drabant Conley E, Hariri AR, Bogdan R. (2017). Elevated reward-related reactivity indirectly links polygenic childhood ADHD risk to later problematic alcohol use. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 2, 180-187. [pdf]
- Di Iorio CR, Carey CE, Michalski LJ, Corral-Frías NS, Conley ED, Hariri AR, Bogdan R. (In Press). Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis genetic variation and early stress moderates amygdala function. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 80, 170-178. [pdf]
- Eisenstein SA, Bogdan R, Chen L, Moerlein SM, Black KJ, Perlmutter JS, Hershey T, Barch DM. (2017). Preliminary evidence that negative symptom severity relates to multilocus genetic profile for dopamine signaling capacity and D2 receptor binding in healthy controls and in schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 86, 9-17. [pdf]
- Swartz JR, Prather AA, Di Iorio CR, Bogdan R, Hariri AR. (2017). A functional interleukin-18 haplotype predicts depression and anxiety in women through increased threat-related amygdala reactivity. Neuropsychopharmacology, 42, 419-426. [pdf]
- Swartz JR, Waller R, Bogdan R, Knodt AR, Sabhlok A, Hyde LW, Hariri AR. (2017). A common polymorphism in a Williams Syndrome gene predicts amygdala reactivity and extraversion. Biological Psychiatry, 81, 203-210. [pdf]
- Baranger DAA, Ifrah C, Prather A, Carey CE, Corral-Frias NS, Drabant Conley E, Hariri AR, Bogdan R. (2016). PER1 rs3027172 genotype interacts with early life stress to predict problematic alcohol use, but not reward-related ventral striatum activity. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 464. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Pagliaccio D, Baranger DAA, Hariri AR. (2016). Genetic moderation of stress effects on corticolimbic circuitry. Neuropsychopharmacology, 41, 275-296. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Winstone JMA, Agrawal A. (2016). Genetic and environmental factors associated with cannabis involvement. Current Addiction Reports, 3, 199-213. [pdf]
- Carey CE, Agrawal A, Bucholz KK, Hartz SM, Lynskey MT, Nelson EC, Bierut LJ, Bogdan R. (2016). Associations between polygenic risk for psychiatric disorders and substance involvement. Frontiers in Genetics, 7, 149. [pdf]
- Corral-Frías NS, Michalski LJ, Di Iorio CR, Bogdan R. (2016). Imaging genetics of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis: Implications for psychopathology. In K.L. Bigos, A.R. Hariri, & D.R. Weinberger (Eds.). Neuroimaging Genetics: Principles and Practices. NY, Oxford University Press.
- Corral-Frías NS, Pizzagalli DA, Carré JM, Michalski LJ, Nikolova YS, Perlis RH, Fagerness J, Lee MR, Drabant Conley E, Lancaster TM, Haddad S, Wolf A, Smoller JW, Hariri AR, Bogdan R. (2016). COMT Val158Met genotype is associated with reward learning: A replication study and meta-analysis. Genes, Brain and Behavior, 15, 503-513. [pdf]
- Demers CH, Drabant Conley E, Bogdan R, Hariri AR. (2016). Interactions between anandamide and corticotropin-releasing factor signaling modulate human amygdala function and risk for anxiety disorders: An imaging genetics strategy for modeling molecular interactions. Biological Psychiatry, 80, 356-362. [pdf]
- Eisenstein SA, Bogdan R, Love-Gregory L, Corral-Frías NS, Koller JM, Black KJ, Moerlein SM, Perlmutter JS, Barch DM, Hershey T. (in press). Prediction of striatal D2 receptor binding by DRD2/ANKK1 allele status. Synapse, 70, 418-431. [pdf]
- Hyde LW, Bogdan R, Hariri AR. (2016). Incorporating the environment into neurogenetics research: An imaging gene by environment interactions (IGxE) approach. In K.L. Bigos, A.R. Hariri, & D.R. Weinberger (Eds.). Neuroimaging Genetics: Principles and Practices. NY, Oxford University Press.
- Iacovino JM, Bogdan R, Oltmanns TF. (2016). Neuroticism and impulsivity predict health declines through stressful life events during mid-life. Journal of Personality, 84, 536-546. [pdf]
- Nelson EC, Agrawal A, Heath AC, Bogdan R, Sherva R, Zhang B, Al-Hasani R, Bruchas MR, Chou Y, Demers CH, Carey CE, Conley ED, Fakira AM, Farrer LA, Goate A, Gordon S, Henders AK, Hesselbrock V, Kapoor M, Lynsky MT, Madden PAF, Moron JA, Rice JP, Saccone NL, Schwab SG, Shand FL, Todorov AA, Wallace L, Wang T, Wray NR, Zhou X, Degenhardt L, Martin NG, Hariri AR, Kranzler HR, Gelernter J, Bierut LJ, Clark DJ, Montgomery GW. (2016). A genome-wide association study provides evidence of CNIH3 involvement in opioid dependence. Molecular Psychiatry, 21, 608-614. [pdf]
- Waller R, Corral-Frías N, Vannucci B, Bogdan R, Knodt A, Hariri AR, Hyde LW. An oxytocin receptor polymorphism predicts amygdala reactivity and antisocial behavior in men. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. [pdf]
- Admon R, Nickerson LD, Dillon DG, Holmes AJ, Bogdan R, Kumar P, Dougherty DD, Iosifescu DV, Mischoulon D, Fava M, Pizzagalli DA. (2015). Dissociable cortico-striatal connectivity abnormalities in major depression in response to monetary gains and penalties. Psychological Medicine, 45, 121-121. [pdf]
- Agrawal A, Bogdan R. (2015). Risky business: Pathways to progress in biologically informed studies of psychopathology. Psychological Inquiry, 26, 231-238. [pdf]
- Arloth J, Bogdan R, Weber P, Frishman G, Menke A, Wagner KV, Schmidt MV, Karbalai N, Czamara D, Müller-Myhsok B, Altmann A, Trümbach D, Wurst W, Mehta D, Uhr M, Klengel T, Erhardt A, Carey CE, Conley ED, MDD working group of the PGC, Ruepp A, Hariri AR, Binder EB. (2015). Genetically determined differences in the immediate transcriptome response to stress predict risk-related brain function and psychiatric disorders. Neuron, 86, 1189-1202. [pdf]
- Carey CE, Agrawal A, Zhang B, Conley ED, Degenhardt L, Heath AC, Li D, Lynskey MT, Martin NG, Montgomery GW, Wang T, Bierut LJ, Hariri AR, Nelson EC, Bogdan R. (2015). Monoacylglycerol lipase (MGLL) polymorphism rs604300 interacts with childhood adversity to predict cannabis dependence symptoms and amygdala habituation: Evidence from an endocannabinoid system-level analysis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 124, 860-877. [pdf]
- Corral-Frías NS, Nikolova YS, Michalski LJ, Baranger DAA, Hariri AR, Bogdan R. (2015). Stress-related anhedonia is associated with ventral striatum reactivity to reward and transdiagnostic psychiatric symptomatology. Psychological Medicine, 45, 2605-2617. [pdf]
- Hyde LW, Bogdan R & Hariri AR. (2015). Neurogenetics of individual differences in brain, behavior and risk for psychopathology. In T. Canli (Ed.), p. 223-242. The Oxford Handbook of Molecular Psychology, NY, Oxford University Press.
- Pagliaccio D, Barch DM, Bogdan R, Wood, PK, Lynskey MT, Heath AC, Agrawal A. (in press). Evidence for shared predisposition in the relationship between marijuana use and subcortical brain structure. JAMA Psychiatry, 72, 994-1001. [pdf]
- Pagliaccio D, Luby JL, Bogdan R, Agrawal A, Gaffrey MS, Belden AC, Botteron KN, Harms MP, Barch DM. (2015). Amygdala functional connectivity, HPA axis genetic variation, and life stress in children and relations to anxiety and emotion regulation. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 124, 817-833. [pdf]
- Pagliaccio D, Luby JL, Bogdan R, Agrawal A, Gaffrey MS, Belden AC, Botteron KN, Harms MP, Barch DM. (2015). HPA Axis Genetic Variation, Pubertal Status, and Sex Interact to Predict Amygdala and Hippocampus Responses to Negative Emotional Faces in School-Age Children. NeuroImage, 109, 1-11. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Agrawal A, Gaffrey MS, Tillman R, Luby JL. (2014). Serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region (5-HTTLPR) genotype and stressful life events interact to predict preschool-onset depression:A replication and developmental extension. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 55, 448-457. [pdf]
- Demers CH, Bogdan R, Agrawal A. (2014). The Genetics, Neurogenetics and Pharmacogenetics of Addiction. Current Behavioral Neuroscience Reports, 1, 33-44. [pdf]
- Lohoff FW, Hodge R, Narasimhan S, Nall A, Ferraro TN, Mickey BJ, Heitzeg MM, Langenecker SA, Zubieta JK, Bogdan R, Nikolova YS, Drabant E, Hariri AR, Bevilacqua L, Goldman D, Doyle GA. (2014). Functional genetic variants in the vesicular monoamine transporter 1 modulate emotion processing. Molecular Psychiatry, 19, 129-139. [pdf]
- Pagliaccio D, Luby JL, Bogdan R, Agrawal A, Gaffrey MS, Belden AC, Botteron KN, Harms MP, Barch DM. (2014). Stress-system genes and life stress predict cortisol levels and amygdala and hippocampal volumes in children.Neuropsychopharmacology, 39, 1245-1253. [pdf]
- Berghorst LH, Bogdan R, Frank MJ, Pizzagalli DA. (2013). Acute stress selectively reduces reward sensitivity. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7, 133. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Hyde LW & Hariri AR. (2013). A neurogenetics approach to understanding individual differences in brain, behavior and risk for psychopathology. Molecular Psychiatry, 18, 288-299. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Nikolova YS & Pizzagalli DA. (2013). Neurogenetics of depression. Neurobiology of Disease, 52, 12-23. [pdf]
- Huys QJM, Pizzagalli DA, Bogdan R, Dayan P. (2013). Mapping anhedonia onto reinforcement learning. A behavioral meta-analysis. Biology of Mood and Anxiety Disorders, 3, 12. [pdf]
- Nikolova YS, Bogdan R & Hariri AR. (2013). Neurogenetics approaches: Insights from studies of dopamine signaling and reward processing. In M. Robinson, E. Watkins & E. Harmon-Jones (Eds.).Handbook of Cognition and Emotion. NY, Guilford Press.
- Prather AA, Bogdan R & Hariri AR. (2013). Impact of sleep quality on amygdala reactivity, negative affect, and perceived stress. Psychosomatic Medicine, 75, 350-358. [pdf]
- Salazar E, Bogdan R, Gorka A, Hariri AR, Carin L. (2013). Exploring the Mind: Integrating Questionnaires and fMRI. Proceedings of the 30th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML-13), 262-70.
- Wellman C, Camp M, Jones VM, MacPherson K, Ihne J, Fitzgerald P, Maroun M, Drabant E, Bogdan R, Hariri A, Holmes A. (2013). Convergent effects of mouse Pet-1 deletion and human PET-1 variation on amygdala fear and threat processing. Experimental Neurology. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Carré JM & Hariri AR. (2012). Toward a mechanistic understanding of how variability in neurobiology shapes individual differences in behavior. Current Topics in Behavioral Neurosciences, 12, 361-393. [pdf]
- Bogdan R & Hariri AR. (2012). Neural embedding of stress reactivity. Nature Neuroscience, 15, 1605-1607. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Pringle P, Goetz EL & Pizzagalli DA. (2012). Perceived stress, anhedonia and illusion of control: Evidence for two meditational models. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 36, 827-832. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Williamson DE & Hariri AR. (2012). Mineralocorticoid recceptor iso/val genotype (rs5522) moderates the association between priori childhood emotional neglect and amygdala reactivity.American Journal of Psychiatry, 169, 515-522. [pdf]
- Nikolova YS, Bogdan R, Brigidi BD & Hariri AR. (2012). Ventral striatum reactivity to reward and recent life stress interact to predict positive affect. Biological Psychiatry, 72, 157-163. [pdf]
- Nikolova Y, Bogdan R & Pizzagalli DA. (2012). Perception of a naturalistic stressor interacts with 5-HTTLPR/rs25531 genotype and gender to impact reward responsiveness. Neuropsychobiology, 65, 45-54. [pdf]
- Ousdal OT*, Brown A*, Nakstad JJ, Per H, Bogdan R, Hariri AR & Andreassen OA. (2012). Associations between a monoaminergic pathways gene variant and amygdala reactivity. A genome-wide functional imaging approach. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 15, 273-285. [pdf]
* Authors made equal contributions.
- Santesso DL, Bogdan R, Birk, JL, Goetz EL, Holmes AJ & Pizzagalli DA. (2012). Altered neural responses to negative feedback are related to negative emotionality in healthy adults. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 7, 794-803. [pdf]
- White MG, Bogdan R, Birk JL, Goetz EL, Holmes AJ & Pizzagalli DA. (2012). FKBP5 and emotional neglect interact to predict individual differences in amygdala reactivity. Genes, Brain and Behavior, 11, 869-878. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Fitzgibbon H, Woolverton WL, Bethea CL, Iyo A, Stockmeier CA, Kyle PB & Austin MC. (2011). 5-HTTLPR genotype and gender, but not chronic fluoxetine administration, are associated withcortical TREK1 protein expression in rhesus macaques. Neuroscience Letters, 503, 83-86. [pdf]
- Bogdan R, Santesso DL, Fagerness J, Perlis RH & Pizzagalli DA. (2011). Corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor type 1 (CRHR1) genetic variation and stress interact to influence reward learning. Journal of Neuroscience, 31(37), 13246-13254. [pdf]
- Hyde LW, Bogdan R, Hariri AR. (2011). Understanding risk for psychopathology through imaging gene-environment interactions (IgxE). Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 15, 417-427. [pdf]
- Pizzagalli DA, Dillon DG, Bogdan R, Holmes AJ. (2011).Reward and Punishment Processing in the Human Brain: Clues from Affective Neuroscience and Implications for Depression Research. In O. Vartanian & D.R. Mandel (Eds.), p. 199-220. Neuroscience of Decision Making. NY, PsychologyPress.
- Bogdan R, Perlis RH, Fagerness J & Pizzagalli, DA. (2010). The impact of minteralocorticoid receptor iso/val genotype (rs5522) and stress in reward learning. Genes, Brain and Behavior, 9, 658-667. [pdf]
- Dillon DG*, Bogdan R*, Fagerness J, Holmes AJ, Perlis RH & Pizzagalli DA. (2010). Variation in TREK1 gene linked to depression-resistant phenotype is associated with potentiated neural responses to reward in humans. Human Brain Mapping, 31, 210-221. [pdf]
* Authors made equal contributions.
- Holmes AJ, Bogdan R & Pizzagalli DA. (2010). Serotonin transporter genotype and action monitoring dysfunction: A possible substrate underlying increased vulnerability to depression. Neuropsychopharmacology, 35, 1186-1197. [pdf]
- Petersen T, Pava J, Buchin J, Matthews JD, Nierenberg AA, Holmes AJ, Bogdan R, Graves LM, Harley RM, Fava M. (2010). The role of cognitive-behavioral therapy and fluoxetine in prevention of recurrence of major depressive disorder. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 34, 13-23. [pdf]
- Bogdan R & Pizzagalli DA. (2009). The heritability of hedonic capacity and perceived stress: A twin study evaluation of candidate depressive phenotypes. Psychological Medicine, 39, 211-218. [pdf]
- Meyersburg CA, Bogdan R, Gallo DA & McNally RJ. (2009). False memory propensity in people reporting recovered memories of past lives. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 118, 399-404. [pdf]
- Pizzagalli DA, Holmes AJ, Dillon DG, Goetz EL, Birk JL, Bogdan R, Dougherty DD, Iosifescu DV, Rauch SL & Fava M. (2009). Reduced caudate and nucleus accumbens response to rewards in unmedicated subjects with major depressive disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 166, 702-710. [pdf]
- Santesso DL, Evins AE, Frank MJ, Cowman-Schetter EM, Bogdan R & Pizzagalli DA. (2009). Single dose of a dopamine agonist impairs reinforcement learning in humans: Evidence from event-related potentials and computational modeling of striatal-cortical functioning. Human Brain Mapping, 30, 1963-1976. [pdf]
- Dillon DG, Holmes A, Jahn AL, Bogdan R, Wald LL, & Pizzagalli DA (2008). Dissociation of neural regions associated with anticipatory versus consummatory phases of incentive processing. Psychophysiology, 45, 36-49. [pdf]
- Santesso DL, Dillon DG, Birk JL, Holmes AJ, Goetz E, Bogdan R & Pizzagalli DA. (2008). Individual differences in reinforcement learning: Behavioral, electrophysiological, and neuroimaging correlates. Neuroimage, 42, 807-816. [pdf]
- Santesso DL, Steele KT, Bogdan R, Holmes AJ, Deveney CM, Meites TM, Pizzagalli DA. (2008). Enhanced negative feedback responses in remitted depression. Neuroreport, 19, 1045-1048. [pdf]
- Petersen T, Feldman G, Harley R, Fresco D, Graves L, Holmes AJ, Bogdan R, Papakostas G, Bohn L, Lury RA, Fava M, Segal ZV. (2007). Extreme response style in recurrent and chronically depressed patients: Change with antidepressant administration and stability during continuation treatment. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 75, 145-153. [pdf]
- Pizzagalli DA, Bogdan R, Ratner KG, & Jahn AL. (2007). Increased perceived stress is associated with blunted hedonic capacity: Potential implications for depression research. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 45, 2742-2753. [pdf]
- Bogdan R & Pizzagalli DA. (2006). Acute stress reduces reward responsiveness: Implications for depression. Biological Psychiatry, 60, 1147-1154. [pdf]
- Plante TG, Aldridge A, Bogdan R, & Hanelin C. (2003). Might virtual reality promote the mood benefits of exercise? Computers in Human Behavior, 19, 495-509.
- Plante TG, Aldridge A, Su D, Bogdan R, Belo M, & Kahn K. (2003). Does virtual reality enhance the management of stress when paired with exercise? An exploratory study. International Journal of Stress Management, 10, 203-216.
- Plante TG, Bogdan R, Kanani Z, Ferlic E, Babula M, & MacAskill E. (2003). Psychological benefits of exercising with another. Journal of Human Movement Studies, 44, 93-106.